Last updated April 2018
For the purposes of data protection this policy refers to the 1998 Data Protection Act until 25th May 2018 and thereafter the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or any subsequent, and successor, legislation.
South Asian Arts-uk is the data controller of the personal information we hold about you.
What is personal information?
Personal information, or personal data, refers to any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not refer to anonymous data. Anonymous data is information where any personal identifiers have been removed.
What information do we collect?
- When you visit us at www.saa-uk.org and you complete a sign-up form at ‘Contact-us’ you complete your name, address, contact, email, dob, ethnicity and interests.
- If take part in a class or workshop we will ask you to complete a registration form; you complete your name, address, parent contact details (if applicable), contact, email, dob, ethnicity and photo, video and performance permissions.
- If you attend a SAA-uk concert, you complete your name, address, contact details, email
- If you sign up to receive our email newsletter either via the website, performance or academy class, we will request and store your email address.
How do we use your personal information?
We use this information to manage and communicate with you on our events and classes, opportunities, donations & giving, and specially selected recommended events.
- To process your class fees, concert tickets, event participation and donations
- To make you aware of upcoming SAA-uk events, classes, opportunities to participate at SAA-uk, donation and fundraising activity, and information on specially selected recommended events. You may opt-out of receiving these messages at any time.
- To comply with our legal, regulatory and charitable governance obligations and good practice
- To investigate complaints
Why do we contact you?
- If you have signed up for our newsletters, we contact you to update you about exciting new SAA-uk events, classes, opportunities to participate at SAA-uk, donation and fundraising activity, and information on specially selected recommended events. You can opt out of marketing emails at any time – see below for more details.
- We will also contact you about leaving feedback for recent event and classes that you have specifically attended through a link to an online questionnaire and feedback platform.
- We will contact you by telephone if there is a specific and urgent class or event query that needs resolving.
- Where you contact us via social media to make an enquiry, we will respond either via the social media platform or via an email you have provided when you contacted us.
What are your rights?
Right of access - You have the right to obtain confirmation that your data is being processed and request access to your personal data. You can make a request by email to email@example.com, or in writing to:
South Asian Arts-uk
Ground Floor North
In the first instance we will provide a copy of the information free of charge. However, we may charge a reasonable administration fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive or to comply with requests for further copies of the same information although this does not mean that we will charge for all subsequent access requests.
We will without delay and within 1 month of your request (subject to extensions in some cases):
- confirm what personal data we hold about you;
- provide a copy of the data in commonly used electronic format if the request is made electronically.
- provide any supporting explanatory materials.
We can extend the time to respond by a further two months where requests are complex or numerous. If this is the case, we will inform you of this within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary.
Data portability – in addition to your access right you can require us to provide a copy of your information that we hold in a commonly used machine-readable format.
Rights of Rectification and Erasure (the right to be forgotten) You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate or no longer necessary.
You can sign up to receive marketing communications through our online sign up form, when you complete a class registration form, or when buying concert & event tickets. Simply tick the opt-in box at any of these stages. It is also possible to sign up for marketing communications over the phone to SAA-uk team members or at an event or concert.
Marketing communications may be sent by either electronically via email or physically through the post.
How to unsubscribe from marketing communications?
All South Asian Arts-uk customers have the choice to refine or opt out of receiving marketing communications from us.
If you do not wish to continue to receive marketing from us, click on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link in any email communications or contact the SAA-uk office.
Encryption and Security of your data
We use the Salesforce CRM system as a central data repository. This utilisies 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with staff members routinely required to change passwords. We also store personal data on the Mailchimp e-communications platform, Microsoft Office365 cloud, and offline. All platforms subscribe to the highest form of data encryption and password protection of sensitive customer information.
Alternatively, you can write to us at:
South Asian Arts-uk
Ground Floor North